Reply to post: Re: What is best for a house on three levels?

BT's Wi-Fi Disc ads banned because there's no evidence the things work

SImon Hobson Bronze badge

Re: What is best for a house on three levels?

As the others say, by far, by a very long way as in "all the other options aren't even in the same county, let alone the same game park", is one or more access points connected by cable back to the router. And turn off the WiFi in the router !

Plusnet use the same router hardware as BT - just a different colour and with different firmware. My experience is that the wireless is utter crap - just generally unreliable, "works" if you get connected, but often get no connection.

I now have a single AP (Unifi AC LR)* in the attic and get full strength, reliable connections anywhere in the house - and at the other end of a reasonably sized garden. 2 storey house, 1940's build with solid brick walls. Since I put it in, wireless has "just worked" and I can't recall any complaints from family or friends with it.

* Disclaimer: I got this as a freeby from Ubiquiti. They had a problem with their first production run, and offered them to people who were active on their forums at the time. TBH I would have bought one (or the AC Pro) anyway having installed a lot of the AC Pro units, and before that, a lot of the Unifi Pro units for clients at work.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon