Reply to post: Re: Hmmm. This will be interesting.

Coronavirus pandemic latest: Trump declares 'two very big words' – national emergency – and unexpectedly ropes in Google to help in some form

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: Hmmm. This will be interesting.

I'm afraid it's more complicated than that, and that there are more things at play than what you mention. Like I wrote, I'm afraid it has little to do with "availability" and "the hardware" of testing. I must admit I'm not part of the price discussions with the biotech (not necessarily "pharma") companies beyond our own. What I do know is that kit prices of £ 245 (non bulk) are not outside normal IVD PCR kit price ranges. And as I mentioned, the Qiagen/ Roche/ ThermoFisher procedures have been available, evaluated, and generally accepted (e.g. WHO) months before the "excellent work of our people".

With that, I don't think the pricing discussion argument you mention is the cause here. As for the "non-covered customers", I can't judge there, since where I live/ work, we have a 100% population inclusive national health service.

What I think is important to consider here is that the current US events are the result of political strategy and decisions. In addition, like I mentioned, tests were available, but they were not approved (FDA, see Diagnostics section), there has been no urgency to change this, and reaction to quickly changing events has been predetermined, and some might say questionable with other goals in mind. Meanwhile, others need to clear up the mess...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon