Reply to post: Re: Just an FYI

Resellers facing 'months' of delays for orders to be fulfilled. IT gathers dust on docks as coronavirus-stricken China goes back to work

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: Just an FYI

Something I haven't yet seen picked up from recent UK government announcements is the fact that the pandemic won't be over until a significant number of the population have been infected, recovered and have immunity (providing the herd immunity that protects the vulnerable). That is unless we manage things so badly it continues until there is a widely available, safe and effective vaccine (which is unlikely until late 2021, even if all the R&D goes well).

With China now releasing figures that show the infection rate there is under control, I wonder how long they'll maintain the current controls. Perhaps China will, but I doubt any western democracy will be able to do that for long. Reduce infection by strict quarantine usually means strict quarantine is needed to maintain the low rate; relax and the infection rate is likely to rise again.

The UK policy of recognising we can't stop infection in the short/medium term, instead to manage it so it remains manageable, is, in my view, the better approach. It means that most of us will get infected at some point but, if we can protect the more vulnerable people for now, herd protection (and an eventual vaccine) will protect them in the longer term. It will be uncomfortable for a while...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon