Reply to post: I do not think that word means what you think it means, MS...

Microsoft throws a bone to those unable to leave the past behind: .NET 5 support on the way for Visual Basic

bombastic bob Silver badge
Meh

I do not think that word means what you think it means, MS...

I stopped using VB after VB3 when it became obvious that the use of MS's shared components in ANY install would probably result in a "worse than DLL HELL" situation, even though it made a great front-end that could be designed by someone who wasn't much of a programmer [and then I'd fill in the blanks so to speak].

And as for "stability" - I do not think this word means what MS thinks it means.

VB1 was unique and interesting, and I hacked a few things to make stuff work - then VB2 broke my hacks but added some better ways of doing the same things, and then VB3 required a few more changes, yotta yotta to the point where I knew that EVERY incarnation of VB would require REAL effort and if VB2's shared DLLs wouldn't work on "THAT OS", so you HAD to "up"grade to VB3, yotta yotta, it showed me a path of CONSTANT "support the version changes" nightmare that I decided NO WAY VB! and I haven't really used it since.

And of course ".NOT" just made things THAT! MUCH! WORSE!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon