Reply to post: Re: The solution to all these companies leaking our PI

Like a Virgin, hacked for the very first time... UK broadband ISP spills 900,000 punters' records into wrong hands from insecure database

Jellied Eel Silver badge

Re: The solution to all these companies leaking our PI

Maybe Patrick McGoohan was wrong; maybe I am a number, albeit it a ever rotating one. "Honey, can you call 2fd35886-32df-4a0f-afe8-a5f2a1adb498 and 8afbecfc-d10c-45d8-8d59-effc1621c8cc and tell them that dinner's ready?"

IPv6 already does that, sort of.

But if it's not leaking, it's phishing. I had my first ever call from 'BT' telling me my Internet connection is slowing down. Was mildly amusing stringing their 'technical expert' along..

"Can you tell me your IP address?" "yup".. "And?".."It's your DHCP server, you tell me.."

"Can you press the button on the left of your keyboard between Ctrl and Alt?".."ok".."Now type in msconfig".."ok".."you should see a window..".."nope".."Try pressing Win+R again".."ok, still nothing".."What version of Windows are you running?".."I'm not.."

But I got bored and hung up before being convinced to download a really vital tune-up app. Curious part was they wanted me to install Chrome, which I guess doesn't say much for it's security. But was interesting to experience a phishing trip and could see how they catch the unwary, especially if they've got their grubby mits on some personal information to make the calls more convincing.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon