Reply to post: Re: "intensely embarrassed by the loss of some of its most valuable weapons"

Alleged Vault 7 leaker trial finale: Want to know the CIA's password for its top-secret hacking tools? 123ABCdef

Mike Moyle

Re: "intensely embarrassed by the loss of some of its most valuable weapons"

Some years back, I read a book by U.S. Army Col. Philip Corso (ret.) who claimed that his job in army intelligence involved doling out the contents of a locked filing cabinet kept in his office in the Pentagon which were allegedly bits of tech from the Roswell UFO crash. The bits would be seeded to universities and industry researchers from the "Foreign Technology Office" to be reverse-engineered and commercialized with a clean paper trail.

How much of this is true and how much the result of Corso having the braid on his cap a little too tight is left as an exercise for the reader, but I recall one comment that that always rang true to me regarding Army's opinion of the CIA's security hygiene. Supposedly only Corso and his commander knew about the contents of the cabinet because (IIRC) "...if anyone else knew about it then the FBI would find out about it and if the FBI knew about it then the CIA would learn of it and if the CIA knew about it then EVERYONE would know about it!"

...Plus ça change...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon