Reply to post:

Broadband providers can now flog Openreach's new IP voice network in bid to ditch UK's copper phone lines by 2025

Jellied Eel Silver badge

As for the ONT, Openreach can have whatever ports it likes on them, Nokia would spin a custom configuration for them just as they do for other telcos (e.g. Verizon whose ONT has RFoG as well).

Yup. It was more that BT seems to be using the no-POTS ONT, presumably ahead of the FDA withdrawl. Rest is kind of the 3 shades of BT, and it's 'structural seperation' and some regulatory gamesmanship. So Openreach kind of doing their own thing rather than being guided by Wholesale/Retail.. who would need to extend FVA to their customer or own PSTN. So kind of divesting more of the service layer to focus on the infrastructure, especially as basic telephony can be done via SP's routers.

I've not heard anything from Retail yet about migrating my service, possibly because they're figuring out how to respond to more complex use cases. Service-wise, the Hub's dropped out more than the line has, and they'll need to send me a new one as mine's Ethernet only.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon