Reply to post:

Fancy that: Hacking airliner systems doesn't make them magically fall out of the sky

jtaylor

Physical feedback is not something that pilots rely on. Not in an Airbus or Boeing or Embraer or Cessna.

Even in a small aircraft, I learned right away to not confuse control input with results. If you're flying with the idea that "I'll just push and pull and my job is done" then you're dead.

The same principle works in a car, by the way. Do you maintain speed by monitoring the position of the control pedal? Do you stay in your lane by watching the steering wheel? If someone told you they crashed the car because their accelerator pedal lacked proper feedback about road conditions, would you blame the car manufacturer?

So how do pilots know when they are in control of the aircraft?

They communicate. "I have control."

They are aware of the other pilot: are they responding properly to communication? "You have control."

They stay aware of the situation: attitude, altitude, speed, direction, engine power, nearby solid objects.

They use the controls and stay aware of how their inputs affect reality. I just pushed down a little: did the pitch change? Why not? Scan instruments again and outside. Push the priority takeover button and try again. Consider possible trim problems or even partial control failure.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon