Reply to post: Re: China must change the relationship with what it eats

F8 accompli: Facebook, Epic Games, Microsoft, Unity abandon conference plans over coronavirus fears

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: China must change the relationship with what it eats

Unfortunately what you are talking about is the problem with global warming. Even excluding the out and out deniers, its a problem that can't be envisioned as a personal impact on most people living today.

"I need to stop polluting this or at some point some people in the world will suffer and die" is not a threat.

"I need to stop drinking or smoking because *I* might die earlier" is a bit of a threat.

"I need to not get on that plane to Italy or *I* might be dead in three weeks" is definitely a threat.

Personal risk evaluations are something that humans do. Its the key to our species survival, we are good at it, we have evolved to be good at it.

We aren't very good at longer term risks and we don't have a mechanism to deal with risks that are perceived beyond the end of our personal lives, let alone ones which involve the deaths of people that are on the other side of the world.

I'm not by the way arguing that we shouldn't care - we definitely should - just that that is the answer to your point.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon