Reply to post: Re: Efficiency

Nokia said to be considering sale or merger as profits tank

thames

Re: Efficiency

Reportedly their "antenna kit", which is how most reports describe it (I think they mean RAN) has better technology than their competitors and can support more users with less equipment, saving costs on purchasing. Probably more importantly, it also apparently requires fewer base stations in areas with lower density of subscribers (i.e. anywhere outside of major cities, which accounts for a lot of base stations if a carrier is to provide coverage nearly everywhere). This is apparently why mobile operators are so keen on buying Huawei's RAN kit, even if they plan on buying the rest of their kit elsewhere.

In third world countries, which account for a big share of the global market, Huawei also provide complete, pre-engineered, turn key systems which saves a fair bit of money on engineering costs. In Western countries carriers tend to mix and match kit from different companies. This however is not the practice everywhere, and the carriers often just want to go to a vendor and buy a complete mobile network, something I understand only Huawei have a credible offering for.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon