Reply to post:

Hacker swipes customer list from controversial face-recog-for-Feds Clearview. Its reaction? 'A part of life'

flayman

It certainly is a useful tool for all sorts of bad actors. The "good" actors who fail to take reasonable steps to secure the data and then shrug off a hack as "that's life" are negligent. Maybe the sensitive data has not been compromised, but maybe it also shouldn't be compiled and stored by someone without explicit consent. I remember the controversy around Google Glass when it was first released. You could have something that looks like ordinary eyeglasses surreptitiously recording people going about their business without their knowledge or consent and then uploading that to a public server as video clips. There ought to be a reasonable expectation of privacy in this situation. I do not consent to surreptitious videoing of myself and publishing to YouTube when I'm standing in a queue at Starbucks. I don't give consent that my movements can be discovered so easily by members of the public. I'm an adult. What about children? I don't give consent that photos of myself and my kids which are uploaded to Facebook and tagged by someone else can be used for warrant-less surveillance by the police.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR WEEKLY TECH NEWSLETTER

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2021