Reply to post: Long-term Sony phone user

I'll never let go, Jack. I'll never let go: Yes, Sony's Xperia 1 II has a 3.5mm headphone port

Tony Jarvie

Long-term Sony phone user

Well, just to put my experiences in the mix here, I have been a Sony user since the days of the T68 (around 2002). Currently have an Xperia 1 with its wide-aspect ratio screen so to answer some of the comments above...

Single-handed use. Sony have recognised this, and have a specific "one-hand" sensor on each side of the screen to address this. My hands are big, so I don't use it really but it's there to help those with smaller hands.

The aspect ratio. 21:9 content, such as films, initially don't fill the screen sometimes but again to get around this you just zoom in (and again it's specifically addressed in the phone's software!) and it fills the screen perfectly. Netflix and Amazon Prime stuff look great in this aspect ratio, on an OLED HDR acreen.

Size of screen. Obviously everyone has their own preference, but I find that held in the natural position, the phone is the same size as (in fact slightly bigger than) my 49" TV across my living room. When I was flying for work a few years ago, I happily watched each of the Lord of the Rings films (extended editions) on my phone and enjoyed them.

Headphones. You do realise that the phone comes with a USB-C to 3.5mm headphone adaptor in the box, don't you? Admittedly, you can't charge the phone at the same time, but you have the option to use wireless headphones if you want...

Longevity. For MANY years now, whenever I and my wife (who also has a Sony phone) upgrade, the old ones get used by my in-laws for the next two years until the next upgrade and they get regular updates, and the battery life seems to be fine for them.

As I say, each person has their own experience, but that's mine as an 18-year long Sony (and before that Sony Ericsson) user. Yours might not be as rosy.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon