Reply to post: Not surprised, probably all ISPs do this, even in the US if you use their router

Vodafone: Yes, we slurp data on customers' network setups, but we do it for their own good

Joe Drunk
Windows

Not surprised, probably all ISPs do this, even in the US if you use their router

As other commenters have noted the solution is to use your own router. My previous ISP provided a combo modem- WIFI router they managed. I connected my router to theirs, thus making my LAN invisible to them.

I personally know more people using their ISP supplied router than one they purchased. Most people aren't boffins and are clueless as to how a router or any of their internet do-hickeys work. They will call their ISP for any problem with their LAN (Ipad can't connect, wireless printer won't print, etc.). I can see how the ISP gathering information on their LAN would be useful in troubleshooting.

Sound off - how many people do you personally know that have purchased their own router versus those using the one provided by their ISP? For me about 80% fall in the latter category.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon