Reply to post: Re: CPUs? Apple stopped making servers even though there was a demand

Steve Jobs, executives shot down top Apple engineers' plea to design their own server CPU – latest twist in legal battle over chip upstart Nuvia

P. Lee

Re: CPUs? Apple stopped making servers even though there was a demand

>Once burned, Apple likes to own their supply chain.

Probably, but if they did, bursting out to the public cloud is going to be much harder.

AMD is probably not an excellent fit either. Apple need good mobile CPUs for their laptops, whereas AMD appear to be console, mid-range and enthusiast-desktop focused, missing the dual/quad-core laptop high-end.

I suspect Apple will focus on their ARM IP and regard servers as a cost-of-business. It will be interesting to see if that changes as the consumer market cools off, but I can't see any other cloud provider picking up Apple's tech and I can't see Apple particularly wanting in-house proprietary server tech. I suspect choosing between AMD and Intel is just fine for them. If ARM comes to the table for scale-out low-latency data-moving that would be ok but they aren't really in the compute-cloud business like the others. This might change if they start embedding ARM in their desktops, or they make an ipad-terminal type system.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon