Reply to post: Re: Registry Cruft

Dual screens, fast updates, no registry cruft and security in mind: Microsoft gives devs the lowdown on Windows 10X

Stuart Castle Silver badge

Re: Registry Cruft

I remember the days Visual Studio 6. I was young, dumb and enthusiastic. Once a year, we re-installed the computers in the lab where I worked, and used the opportunity to install the latest versions of any applications. I was also a little inexperienced, and didn't know about silent installers, so don't know if VS 6 supported silent installs. So, following the instructions I was given , I happily created a "snapshot" deployment on our software deployment system (Wininstall as it was then). Did the before snapshot, then ran the installer, then the after. VS6 dumped files seemingly at random on the C drive, as well as in the install folder (we installed all applications to drive D then for some reason). It also made tens of thousands of registry changes.. Can't remember how we installed it (it's possible I even discovered silent installs with that package), but it was a headache.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon