Reply to post: Re: Anonymous Contractor

UK contractors planning 'mass exodus' ahead of IR35 tax clampdown – survey

Jellied Eel Silver badge

Re: Anonymous Contractor

Did I miss something? Could I have spent another couple of decades in the UK without any IR35 hassles?

HMRC Inspector Callahan "You have to ask yourself, are you inside or outside IR35? Do you feel lucky punk?"

But in the 20+ years since this high fibre turd started floating, HMRC has stumbled along with various determinations. Often that contractors were inside IR35, and therefore must pay up. But then those determinations were frequently challenged, and contractors found to be outside. So HMRC spent millions on.. contractors to develop a state-of-the-art AI* based system that with only a few simple questions would rule contractors inside IR35.

So tool in hand, it was announced that henceforth in the public sector, employers would now be responsible for determining IR35 status. Which promptly lead to public sector contractors seeking pastures new, and projects being delayed or costing more. Now we're into the next phase where private sector is facing the same challenge.

Parts of the private sector are ecstatic, ie the usual suspects like Crapita*** who can now try to fill zero-hours positions** to fulfill public and private sector.. err.. contracts.

*HMRC hired a top consultancy that determined the self-determination system has an equivalent level of intelligence as a pet rock. But less utility.

**By zero-hours, I mean whatever Crapita can come up with to ensure psuedo-employees still won't get sick or holiday pay, or any unnecessary costs that might otherwise impact margins and profitability.

***As we get closer to IR35 day, I've noticed an increasing number of agency calls telling me about wonderful opportunities to work for the usual suspects.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon