Reply to post: IDE not SCSI but the hack worked

Who needs the A-Team or MacGyver when there's a techie with an SCSI cable?

Jaspa

IDE not SCSI but the hack worked

Many moons ago, in a Woolworths not far away I was presented with a dead EPOS Server smack in the middle of Christmas week.

Our "Senior" Eng had requested I assist by bringing a spare IDE cable as his "didn't fit" and it was hampering the tape restore process on the ageing 386.

The Manager was impressed that we turned up mob handed in his hour of need but was becoming increasingly frustrated by the lack of progress and the queues of Shoppers waiting to pay for Pick n' Mix and the latest CD single releases .

We were faced with having only the newer cables with the unused pin blanked out. The kit was of an age before these so Senior's didn't fit was accurate.

Senior is calling anyone and everyone in the hope of locating a cable not too many miles away while I'm trying to keep the manager placated.

We were stood in the store right next to the sewing section and in a flash I had brainwave. Inviting the Manager out for a long overdue cig I asked if I could borrow a sewing needle as we left the store. Spark up said cig, heat needle and melt the offending offending plastic away. Hey presto, one working cable.

Senior went on to watch paint dry as the restore worked its magic and I wandered off feeling smug .

For those not of a chronological disposition ...

http://www.mikeshardware.com/howtos/howto_connect_ide_hd.html

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon