Reply to post: Re: Might have mentioned this before...

Tech can endure the most inhospitable environments: Space, underwater, down t'pit... even hairdressers

jake Silver badge

Re: Might have mentioned this before...

I did mention this one before, back in 2012 ...

Mid 1980s ... My wife tried to plug a tape into the Betamax player. It didn't work ... I was called in, and discovered a PB&J sandwich had been stuffed into the machine. Judging by the texture of the bread, and the lack of mildew, it was done during my Daughter's birthday party the day before. The Wife panicked, as she had a local "snooty, high profile" potential buyer coming in to look at a rather expensive mare that we had for sale ... the mare was housed on our Calaveras County property, but we had the tape just for this kind of occasion.

I took the helm, suggested my wife bow out temporarily, and explained to the potental buyer what had happened, borrowed a Beta player from a neighbor, and the customer viewed the video about forty five minutes after schedule. She bought the mare a week later. No harm, no foul.

Spring forward to a couple months ago (2012 time). The 1950's Western Electric rotary-dial telephone on my desk rings. That number is only known by family & a few select friends. There is no caller ID on that line, nor do I want it. I answer, as always:

Me: This is jake.

Daughter: Daddy?

Me: (thinking "Oh, FUCK!", because she usually calls me "Pop" ...) Yes, it's me, what's wrong?

Daughter: Remember the sandwich in the Betamax?

Me: Yes?

Daughter: I did that ... I thought I wanted the PB&J like all my friends, but the Albacore (Tuna) alternative that you made for the adults sounded better after one bite, and I know how much you hate wasting food ... It was the easiest place to hide it. (She's been a foodie/gourmet/gourmand since she was a toddler).

Me: :::ROTFLMAO:: Why are you calling me over this now? It's hardly important anymore ... oh, wait ... you called me "daddy" not "pop" ... What's wrong, hon?

Daughter: Your granddaughter just fed a chunk of mustard-coated mortadella into the DVD player ...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon