Reply to post: Mixed feelings on this, and there are alternatives

The BlackBerry in your junk drawer is now a collectors' item: TCL says no more new keyboard-clad phones

BinkyTheMagicPaperclip Silver badge

Mixed feelings on this, and there are alternatives

On the one hand it's a pity the very specific niche of secure keyboard phones will be no more.

On the other hand I'm still annoyed that Blackberry dumped the Priv's security updates after two years. The hardware and software was good, the lack of updates unforgivable. That lack of customer service and ability to root meant I refused to move to the TCL Key series[1].

Now I have an Fxtec Pro1, and there's also the Unihertz Titan on the market. The jury is still out on the Fxtec I'd say : the software is not as polished as Blackberry's and I really miss the word selection and ability to swipe in the Priv's keyboard (this may be able to be worked around with software) but the hardware quality is good. It's a landscape phone, which I love, but Android is the same now as it was about four years ago with certain apps only working in portrait despite Android UI guidelines.[2]

[2] Wait! Just tried split screen mode and it works! Rotates the apps to portrait, with two at once in landscape mode. Brilliant.

Still, the Fxtec is also rootable and there are builds of Sailfish and LineageOS available. I suspect I'll be happy once I've made a couple of Android customisations.

[1] Granted, the Priv's hardware was also failing. Despite the fact it is fractionally over three years old, the GPS was frequently dropping out, the battery was in definite need of renewal, and occasional random reboots were a thing.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon