Reply to post: Re: I can...

Need 32-bit Linux to run past 2038? When version 5.6 of the kernel pops, you're in for a treat

bombastic bob Silver badge
Happy

Re: I can...

ack on usable old laptops, even ones that can't do 64-bit. I have 2 of those [one has win 7 on it out of necessity].

The older of the 2 laptops I have has Linux on it. When I started a new contract last year, I needed Linux to do RPi-related development. They didn't have any Linux machines so I brought in a 2003-ish Toshiba laptop with Linux on it. With that old thing I was able to get work done [good luck doing work under Win-10-nic, it was SO in the way it was pathetic]. I quickly set up the RPi to run X11 applications remotely on the laptop (using the 'export DISPLAY' trick) and I was quickly getting things done using pluma to edit files directly on the RPi from the keyboard+mouse+display on the laptop. After a couple of weeks of that they found an old computer nobody was using and I put Linux on it. [quite obviously they were "sold" on the idea and maybe a *bit* embarassed that I was using a 17 year old laptop in lieu of a "modern" computer running Windows 10, and getting MORE done that way]

In any case, 32-bit devices _definitely_ have a use. Why throw them away if they still help you get things done???

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon