Reply to post: Re: Understatement

Vendor-bender LibreOffice kicks out 6.4: Community project feel, though now with added auto-█████ tool

Stuart Castle Silver badge

Re: Understatement

I am trying to be fair here (used to use Libre office, but have to use MS Office now, as a lot of my work involves Exchange, plus I get MS office for free as well, and have to spend almost no time getting it to work with our servers at work, so I use MS Office out of laziness as much as anything).

So, I haven't used Libre office in a while.

But I question the need for a "launcher" . Maybe it helped with ease of use in the DOS days, when it just provided a menu that replaced the commands the user would otherwise need, but anyone using any recent OS already has a more than capable launcher already installed (be it Finder, Windows Explorer or any Linux desktop).

I'm not too concerned about the "bloat" factor, after all, most launchers are only a few megabytes, and most computers have gigabytes of RAM and potentially terabytes of drive space, so a few megabytes is insignificant. My concern is security, and particularly bugs. Especially if the launcher includes components that run on startup.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon