Reply to post: Re: Surprised they don't use *NIX

BSOD Burgerwatch latest: Do you want fries with that plaintext password?

Stuart Castle Silver badge

Re: Surprised they don't use *NIX

I wouldn't have thought there would be much reason not to do something like that as a web app, that way anything with a recent browser from a single board computer (such as a Pi) to a full on workstation costing thousands could be powering the screen. There is the good reason that you might not want a web server accessing your POS system, and I don't know if the credit card companies would have anything to say (after all, there are chip and pin card readers on these machines)

That said, does Linux lend itself to large scale distribution well? Microsoft's System Center is, frankly speaking, a pain in the arse at times, but it does scale well, and it is feasible to set it up to distribute software to thousands of machines at the push of a button.

I know you can control Linux with an MDM solution, but is it easy to push an update out to thousands of machines? Is it easy to monitor that deployment?

Not knocking Linux at all, On the contrary, we have a project I am looking at where we would like to have standalone info screens, and I personally favour a raspberry pi based solution, but have the problem that we have no method in place for managing (including updates) the Pis remotely.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon