Reply to post: Re: "It is perfectly possible for the West [..] to decide on a coherent policy"

There are already Chinese components in your pocket – so why fret about 5G gear?

Claptrap314 Silver badge

Re: "It is perfectly possible for the West [..] to decide on a coherent policy"

You're out of date on those trends, and your anti-Republicanism is blinding you further.

First, the US is currently a net oil exporter. This is a direct result of eliminating the restrictions on oil exploitation that were created early in the Obama administration when fracking first became economically viable. The proven US reserves are quite large, and even in high school almost forty years ago, I understood that these reserves represented a grand strategic limit on Middle Eastern oil power. (What I actually said on this issue, "Doesn't it make sense to let them sell us oil when it is cheap, while we hold ours for when it is expensive?" I did not recon with advancing technology making our oil cheap as well.)

The US has indeed exported far more manufacturing than is wise at a grand strategic level. One of the weaknesses of an open economy is that there is little that the government can do to prevent this if it wants to keep the economy open. Note that president Trump is the first to address this concern in quite some time. Not that I agree with his methods on this issue, but he is the first to do more than to make a couple of statements on the campaign trail somewhere.

Renewables are not capable of producing the amount of energy required to fuel a vibrant economy. There are hard limits on things like erg/m^2 received by the sun. If you don't like oil (who does, I mean, really?) we have fission until fusion is ready. Note that the price of thorium has gone positive, which means that smart, rich people are betting that fusion is coming online.

And that will be _good_ for the US, as it will reduce energy costs.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon