Reply to post: Caltech has a history of playing fast and lose with the rules RE: WiFi themselves

Caltech takes billion-dollar bite out of Apple, Broadcom for using its patented Wi-Fi tech without paying a penny

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Caltech has a history of playing fast and lose with the rules RE: WiFi themselves

A few years back they started jamming other peoples WiFi access points. At fist they claimed they had the right to block students from connecting their own APs to the schools network. Then the students pointed out that they were jamming access points that weren't connected to their network (and interfering with their coursework and reasearch). Management then claimed, tough, you all agreed to be students, so you have to do what we say, at which point they pointed out they are also blocking access points that were not student operated, or even affiliated with the school.

When one of my clients told me about this, I quietly suggested the WiFi bands are mostly in public spectrum, and intentionally generating interference is prohibited. I also pointed out the part that is not public is in the HAM radio band, and if he should show up the old TRW swapmeet he might recruit a bunch of grouchy old men with two specific hobbies, knowing the broadcast rules chapter and verse and to gripe at the FCC, who's favorite terms are "are not allowed to cause interference" and "must accept any interference that they receive."

Several grouchy HAMs then lodged a formal protest with the school, the FCC, and probably the better business bureau, Yelp, and the mayors office, leading to much inconvenience.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon