Reply to post:

It's been one day since Blighty OK'd Huawei for parts of 5G – and US politicians haven't overreacted at all. Wait, what? Surveillance state commies?

J.G.Harston Silver badge

There seems to be a lot of FUD going around over this. People keep talking about Huawei "being involved" in building the UK's 5G network. Why? Just buy the damn kit and the install and manage it ourselves, we don't need the Chinese coming over here and installing it, let along running it. I install Dell computers in the NHS. Dell aren't runing the NHS, we just buy the kit from them. And the first thing I do with it is install a new BIOS, and the second thing I do is wipe the hard drive and replace the operating system and applications, so even if the kit was supplied full of spy-wear, it's gone before it's in use. That should be exactly the same with 5G kit - just but stuff from suppliers, whoever they are, and *we* build and use it as *we* see fit. I buy bread from Fletchers, that doesn't mean Fletcher's are running my life; Post Office Telephones bought Strowger switches, that didn't mean Strowger were running the UK telephone network, British Gas bought pipes from British Plastics, that didn't mean British Plastics were running the gas network.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon