Reply to post: Re: Microsoft Foundation Classes

Ever wondered what Microsoft really thought about the iPad? Ex-Windows boss spills beans

DCFusor
Pint

Re: Microsoft Foundation Classes

Hello, fellow weirdo! Personally, after a somewhat stiff learning curve, including developing a bit of philosophy, myself and a couple guys I worked with in my consultancy made enough money using DevStudio6 and MFC to retire quite young, and quite long ago. I'm just now reaching normal retirement age after well over a decade of not needing a job. Thanks for all the bugs, Bill! If you'd made good product, easy to work with, and reliable, I wouldn't have had so much success fixing your junk.

We bailed at .NET, which clearly wasn't for us or what we did - we sold performance, and wrote drivers and applications for a manufacturer of telecom and paging gear.

As to philosophy - clearly MS hadn't any good clue about things like OLE...1, 2, ? ActiveX, COM (omg, DCOM) - and the security issues obvious to us even back then. And how again do you print that sound file you embedded in the word document? There's a long list of hilarious errors around that stuff, including even accidental early release of corporate quarterly reports vie obviously named embedded data in available boilerplate source.

Further, it was simple to make a rule - if MS isn't using it in their own major products, don't use it yourself, thus avoiding most of the consequences of that behavior now exemplified by Google -

"oops, let's drop or make that thing incompatible".

Glad I completely switched all my stuff to Linux, even back then when it was more painful - RH 8. That's paid off too. Sometimes early adoption is a good thing.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon