Reply to post: Re: Happily using Linux for 20 years

Free Software Foundation suggests Microsoft 'upcycles' Windows 7... as open source

Kiwi
Pint

Re: Happily using Linux for 20 years

To a RAW photographer who uses GIMP as his primary workflow it comes across as very ignorant and rude.

Have to agree. I've barely touched RAW stuff, but I have a few times used GIMP in collaboration with someone firmly and fully in the Adobe camp. I had no problem processing her files in GIMP, and when she got over the shock at what I was able to do in GIMP she had no problems processing my work either. The sole reason she sticks with Adobe is she knows it well and has invested heavily in their ecosystem. Yet I learned a lot about GIMP by watching her use Photoshop or whichever program she was using.

I guess I too must be "angry" and "hostile" by pointing out that my work flow works well for me and has earned me money. And it's not like we're common users - today I briefly visited a truly basic user to get his requirements for moving from W7 to Zorin - he uses a huge array of software - Chrome for browsing, Thunderbird for email and Picasa for photo management. Oh and free Comodo AV.

These anti-linux threads go on about how somehow most people could not use it for a desktop, yet fail to see that most people don't even use desktop anyway. While us nerds were fighting the "desktop wars" the rest of the world passed us by with nary a glance in our direction :) (the guy I visited today is too far down the tech skills tree to manage to use a phone for more than calls/txt, hence Zorin to help keep his OS familiar)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon