Reply to post: zon files

South American nations open fire on ICANN for 'illegal and unjust' sale of .amazon to zillionaire Jeff Bezos

Jellied Eel Silver badge

zon files

I suspect trademarks would be the issue in using alt-Amazon names. But they could have been ama.zon. For me the root problem is the way new TLD's have been created out of thin bits as a form of extortion. Register your brands/trademarks in all these exciting new TLD's or someone else might. These new vanity domains have been very lucrative for ICANN, perhaps less so for the 'lucky' winners. I don't think I've ever seen or visited one of the new TLDs.

I think there are also issues with dispute resolution processes. I guess it's trickier when domains are for common words, but if you're SurrealEel Inc and have registered your trademarks, rather than going through vague dispute resolution processes, you might be able to use the courts. There's plenty of legal precedents and experience regarding IP and trademark/copyright, which is why a lot of new or old companies use made up words for their marks.

But balkanisation might be an outcome. The Amazon nations could legislate so ISPs have to direct customers to approved DNS servers that run their own .amazon zone. That would mean users in those countries can't access the 'official', ICANN approved .amazon, but that's too bad, and legal in those nations.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon