Reply to post: Re: Perspective

Copy-left behind: Permissive MIT, Apache open-source licenses on the up as developers snub GNU's GPL

Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Re: Perspective

This is not a loss for Free Software fundamentalism, it's a testament to the influence it's had on the world of software, transforming the landscape into a world that's now orders of magnitude more open.

I'm dubious about this narrative. Shipping source was the rule, not the exception, in first couple decades of commercial digital computing. The move to closed-source software was arguably driven by a couple of factors: the rise of commercial pure-software companies, and the IBM consent agreement which led to "unbundling" and the forced conversion of its mainframe software into a profit center.

Even prior to the rise of the free/open software movements, source code was still exchanged widely, at both small scale (the txtfile community, for example) and large (AT&T UNIX). When Stallman founded the FSF, I don't recall it being greeted as a surprising concept; the controversy was around the ideology, not the notion of open source, or even open-source commercial software.

Personally, I suspect we'd have a significant open-source presence even if the FSF and the free-software movement (and its variants) had never happened. Certainly the FSF and GPL had a tremendous effect on the evolution of FOSS and its current state, and almost certainly on the volume of FOSS and the success of FOSS-based commercial firms such as Red Had. But I think it would have been significant even without them.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon