Reply to post: Re: Isn't THIS why we've got to teach 2nd-graders how to "code", rather than how to think?

You're not Boeing to believe this: Yet another show-stopping software bug found in ill-fated 737 Max airplanes

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: Isn't THIS why we've got to teach 2nd-graders how to "code", rather than how to think?

I work on most DO-178C artefacts. But it's different sections of different projects to maintain the required independence between the defined roles (I'm just completing a Software Verification Results document, parts of which are to prove the correct independence and oversights of a particular project, I was providing technical oversight on another project meting this morning and I will be coding to LLR on another project later.)

Yes, there are those of us who truly know how to produce safety critical code. My teams are spread thinly and globally and I never expect to physically meet most of them. We are all 'on the rivet' and would love to encourage more people to join the profession. Profession, however, is a key term, chartered, is another. (I am CITP)

Until Software Engineering requires professional qualifications to practice, then it will never get the same respect as the professions where people have to become chartered to work, and have to complete continuous professional development to maintain that status.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon