Reply to post: Re: Those moneychangers...

You're not Boeing to believe this: Yet another show-stopping software bug found in ill-fated 737 Max airplanes

Kobus Botes
Flame

Re: Those moneychangers...

@Snake

""What went wrong" is that finance people got a hold of..."

You can enter ANY company/entity there. I do not think there is one example where financial people took over running a company, that ended well for anybody else (part from the financial people). Once an accountant starts calling the shots, the focus moves from the product/service delivered to maximizing shareholder returns. These two goals are diametrically opposed and will almost inevitably lead to the demise of said entity in the medium to long term.

I once asked an accountant in the company I worked for at the time, why they have such a short term

outlook. His answer was that they only live from the current financial year to the next. Whatever happens beyond that is unknowable and therefore of no concern. His second reason was that they abhor uncertainty and would rather opt for a certain negative result (even if ruinous), over an uncertain (possibly positive) result.

My feeling is that, once accountants take over, you should get out as soon as possible and cash in.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon