Reply to post: Re: Awww bless..

The time that Sales braved the white hot heat of the data centre to save the day

Anomalous Custard

Re: Awww bless..

in a previous job we made the mistake of trusting the aircon company to properly deal with a decommissioned ceiling vent, which happened to have a rack underneath it (there wasn't anywhere else in the room for it to go).

The Monday after this happened we came in to find the carpet around the rack soaked, and the one server in the rack full of water. Which led me to try to invoke our support agreement at HP (they would send us the parts we needed to recover from an emergency - in this case it was just disks needed). Which led to what seemed like hours of trying to get the support person to break out of their script - it was certainly long enough for me to end up putting them on loud speaker and random people wander in to listen. It went something like this:

Me: *explains problem, and that we need to invoke our agreement and need this many disks of this size*

Them: "What happens when you turn it on?"

Me: "It's full of water - that's not happening."

Them: "I understand. But what happens when you turn it on? Does it beep?"

Me: "It's full of water, I'm not turning it on"

Them: "I understand this. But if you turn it on, what happens?"

Me: "Electricity and water don't mix well. I'm not turning it on"

Them: "OK. I understand you don't want to risk turning it on, but what noise does it make when you turn it on?"

At around this point one of the people listening in muttered, I think just loud enough to be heard by the support person, "If you want to find out you come and turn it on"

Shortly after the support person did understand that I wasn't going to turn it on, I wasn't interested in trying to fix the server and that I just wanted disks to start the rebuild of the server on other hardware.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon