Reply to post: Re: 2019?

Squirrel away a little IT budget for likely Brexit uncertainty, CIOs warned

Loyal Commenter Silver badge

Re: 2019?

To make this perfectly clear; I haven't at any point denied the existence of the regulation in question (I was actually the first to mention it in this particular dialogue). You might like to refrain from making claims that can be easliy disproved by reading the thread the occur in.

My claims are twofold:

1) You haven't actually said what your problem with a regulation around classifying foodstuffs by their quality is. Do you really have an issue with knowing that an apple bought in Spain or Lithuania has the same minimum standards* set as one bought in the UK, or do you honestly believe that we should be able to pass off shittier produce in this country than anywhere else in Europe? Of course, if you don't actually have a problem with the regulation in question, then your entire argument seems to be that you have demonstrated the existence of an EU regulation (via an opinion piece written by a journalist with an axe to grind), that it is somehow bad that it exists in the first place, and that therefore the EU is undesirable. There are two glaring nonsequiturs in that particular line of thinking.

2) It is a regulation, not a law. This might seem a trivial technical point, but it signifies what is probably quite a deliberate misrepresenation of how EU regulations work, and how their content is brought into domestic law.

I might further add that, at the time, nobody (including UK MEPs) had any problem with the regulation in question, and the UK voted for it.

*The minimum standard of course, applies to only which apples can be labelled as "Class A", and which as "Class B". It doesn't specifically prevent the sale of produce based on shape or size.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon