Reply to post:

Are you getting it? Yes, armageddon it: Mass hysteria takes hold as the Windows 7 axe falls

Kiwi
Black Helicopters

I used my old phone for over 12 months without any security patches from the manufacturer.

Over 4 years on my current phone with no updates and no facility to. Previous phone got 7 or 8 years before its keypad started failing, also no updates.

Next phone will probably be a Doro or something similar. What can I say? I prefer basic phones, crappy no-name tablets, basic ancient laptops, and as much-as-I-can-afford desktops. The stuff that travels with me, if I crash I don't need a tablet or laptop or broken smart phone, I need a working reliable phone (hence also my liking of flip phones - get some extra protection for the vital bits). And if someone steals my gear off the bike, I'd rather they get a $50 2nd hand tablet and a laugh-themselves-hysterical phone than a $1,000+ phone.

(if I can find a basic flip phone with no FB etc "features" installed, I'll be very happy! Better still if I can tether over BT or something)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon