Reply to post: Re: "plugging the holes in that decade-old code"

Are you getting it? Yes, armageddon it: Mass hysteria takes hold as the Windows 7 axe falls

ThatOne Silver badge
Thumb Down

Re: "plugging the holes in that decade-old code"

> Ever thought the problem can be in your system

Yes but no, in this case the problem is clearly with Microsoft: As I said above, Microsoft themselves admit Windows Update is buggy, and try to give workarounds for when patches don't want to get installed. It's a little sad for a program they have been working 20 years on (Windows Update)...

Real life example from December 2019: I made a clean install of Win7 on a VM (so no exotic drivers), and let it install all the updates and patches, so I have a working Windows VM for the years to come.

Well, letting a clean, fresh install of Windows download and install all its patches isn't as trivial as I expected. A dozen patches didn't go through, whatever I tried. It took me 2 weeks and about 20 hours researching the Internet to finally manage to arrive at a point where everything seems installed (or just isn't flagged as missing anymore). (Not that I really care, this VM won't see the Internet ever again.)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon