Reply to post:

AI of the needle: Here's how neural networks could detect nighttime low blood-sugar levels using your heart beat

tyne

This sounds like an AI solution looking for it's problem... rather than a problem that needs to be solved.

As a long term diabetic I now only use the traditional finger prick technique a couple of times a week at most. The rest of the time I wear a patch that last 2 weeks, that takes a measurement and stores it in it's memory every few minutes, scan the patch with an NFC smartphone or it's dedicated reader 4-5 times throughout a day and I get graphs of my blood glucose levels over the whole 24 hour period.

I find keeping track of my blood glucose neither annoying or painful, it's just a fact of life. I suspect the faff of effectivley rigging myself up to an ECG that can take accurate enough readings would be considerably more effort.

I luckily dont worry too much about hypo's but, for those that do there are similar solutions that can continually monitor your blood glucose 24 hours a day, and alert you if your in danger, they're currently expensive but they work, are available now, in the UK funded by the NHS for those that really do need them.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon