Reply to post: Re: These kind of ideas go back a long way

Flying taxis? That'll be AFTER you've launched light sabres and anti-gravity skateboards

Kiwi
Pint

Re: These kind of ideas go back a long way

They shifted all of the shelves around too for unknown reasons.

That used to be the practice of supermarkets over these ways, every few months.. Idea being that customers got to know where the things they wanted were so could go straight ot them, missing the opportunity to buy other pointless/needless junk on the way. So mix it up, make people have to search, and hey they spend more money - or so the thinking goes.

There's nobody there now that knows much about hardware or where things can be found.

Sadly that seems to be the same with the "big box" car stores over these ways. And plumbing. Recently found a small plumbing store on Hutt Road in Petone. Prices are generally on a par with the big-box places but the service is damned good. Guys know their stuff, happy to chat, happy to act as a sounding board, and the impressive bit - "We do sell that, but so-and-so is cheaper" (to which I've said "I'm here, might as well get it from you".

Couple of years back I was after some valve lapping tools for an engine rebuild. At the big-box auto stores (one of which markets themselves on a great deal of knowledge about cars so much so they can tell you what car an oil filter fits just from the silhouette) the twits there met my question with blank stares and utterly confused looks. By chance found a small store (name somewhat after the city I live in) and cautiously asked after them. "Yeah, 3rd isle, middle shelf. You'll see the paste on the shelf below. What sort of head? Oh, for that you want to use this paste first, then that paste". For years I sought di-electric grease (helps keep bike switches working). Asked at this store, "No we don't have it, but we can get some in. Will be here next week, ok?".

These guys are all older, youngest would be around my age (mid-late 40s). I dread the loss of skill and knowledge when the likes of them die, so few people today getting the same level of skill set (at least the Naenae mower guy has passed his skills on!)

But I have seen too many small successful shops sell out to muppets who have no clue as to what was the source of the success, and fail soon after.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon