Reply to post: Re: It is remarkable that Windows 7 [...] while maintaining [...] 27 per cent market share

Windows 7 and Server 2008 end of support: What will change on 14 January?

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: It is remarkable that Windows 7 [...] while maintaining [...] 27 per cent market share

When the PC small UPS kicks in, there's usually the time to save what I'm working on and shut down the system - and I need to do it quickly.

Moreover It has set the PC to turn of disks after a while even when connected to power. So sometimes it takes time to speed them up again - and I also prefer to avoid this kind of start/stop of the multi-terabyte mirror. I don't think these disks are designed for that. The other two disks are SSDs so there's no need to stop them.

Even the "balanced" mode slow downs the CPU too much, and I can see a visible lag before it returns to full speed. For example, while working in Lightroom I could be inspecting the image to understand where and what change apply. The CPU slow downs. Then when I start to apply brush strokes, which are processor intensive, the first couple of strokes are a pain until the CPU speeds up.

Settings can be changed, sure, but the default ones are unacceptable for a workstation - and it can be daunting for non-technical users, as the settings are quite low-level.

If it can't detect the system type itself, the setup should ask what configuration it is, and apply sensible defaults.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon