Reply to post: Re: Read it here ...

LG announces bold new plan for financial salvation: Trying to actually make phones people want to buy

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: Read it here ...

The problem is that we users (I include myself even though I am retired and not part of the typical demographic) of tech websites are a minority. A small minority. I remember having my eyes opened somewhat many years ago as the most junior member of an R&D department when someone pointed out that "people like us" represented less than 1% of the population.

Since then the percentage of graduates has greatly increased, the relative importance of engineering and software has also greatly increased, but I doubt that people with technical interests represent more than 10% of the population. And of those a fair percentage will be quite happy with the Apple/Samsung duopoly in the US and the Apple/Samsung/Huawei and other Chinese triopoly elsewhere.

tl;dr what LG needs is for a mysterious virus to wipe out Apple, Samsung or both, because absent the Chinese state-sponsored patriotism effect, most people would be perfectly happy with a duopoly so long as it churns out a range of models and improves things a bit each year. The US was happy with Ford and GM for many years.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon