Reply to post: Re: "There haven't been many earth-shattering breakthroughs over the past five years."

GSMA report: Sorry, handset makers, 5G is not going to save the smartphone market

doublelayer Silver badge

Re: "There haven't been many earth-shattering breakthroughs over the past five years."

I don't think the innovations have been very important, but until 2015 or so, you could at least notice them. The new phone would have a better screen than the last one, would load apps faster, maybe last a bit longer on battery*. The same being true of communications--data over 2G was nearly unusable, 3G was good, 4G was great. Now, although processors in phones get faster and faster, I don't really see any effects on my general usage. I'm sure some people use more processing and have noticed the changes, but I doubt it's their major consideration. A logical response from the manufacturers would be to try to experiment with new things or to compete on price. They've made a couple attempts at the former, but their treatment of the latter is strange and doesn't seem to be helping them all that much.

*New phones running for longer on a battery: I am only comparing like for like here. I know that non-smartphones ran for longer, and that a new phone with a larger screen will run shorter. For a while, phones using new chips and the same quality screen would improve their battery life. Now, every saving in battery is used to allow an even bigger or higher resolution screen.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon