Reply to post: Re: For a mobile device, 4G is more than fast enough for me.

GSMA report: Sorry, handset makers, 5G is not going to save the smartphone market

Lee D Silver badge

Re: For a mobile device, 4G is more than fast enough for me.

I don't have broadband at all, I just use a 4G dongle.

I do 100-200Gb a month, which is way within the average broadband use for a home.

Never do I see a "speed limit" (i.e. buffering, stopping, pausing, things just not streaming, games jerking, etc.) but it's not the fastest thing in the world (I have 1000 games on Steam, though, so there's quite a bit of downloading large updates every now and then).

Also works out a damn sight cheaper: £20 a month, all in, on a monthly-rolling contract for unlimited amounts of data (stated "action" only happens over 1000Gb a month).

5G would be interesting to me, just to up that base speed a little, but other than that... who cares? And, technically, if they bothered to use 4G properly (which we never do in this country) then you could easily reach any speed that I could desire with it.

When a 5G router, 5G SIM and still-unlimited data is available for a reasonable price? Maybe I'll upgrade. Until then, my smartphone is only on a 4G sim and sees basically zero data use (I just join it to the wifi to take advantange of the above unlimited package, so the only data I use is if I'm actually out and about and I don't tend to stream HD movies in the car or places where there isn't already wifi).

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon