Reply to post: Re: But How ?

What if everyone just said 'Nah' to tracking?

Electronics'R'Us
Thumb Up

Re: But How ?

I also use NoScript along with the facebook container. I like the container - it refuses to let the 'like' buttons capture anything as I am not on their site (and I do not have a fb account anyway).

I have a paid subscription to a well known national newspaper and the only domain I permit for scripting is their own.

I do use Chrome on occasion (for those times when the site operator doesn't clearly state what other domains may need scripts enabled - in the UK a lot of them are like that, particularly gov domains) and if I load said newspaper site in Chrome, it maxes out a logical core on my laptop (7th gen i7) and takes a long time to load. When I look at the NoScript information panel, there are 2 pages of blocked domains.

Yes, for casual browsing I use FF with NoScript for El Reg as well. When I permit scripting I see lots of ads for Analog Devices (hint to El Reg - there is no need for that).

Faster loading, less tracking - what's not to like?

I solved the issue with flash locally stored objects long ago without having to ask nicely to not have flash objects locally stored - it involves removing a directory and making a file of the same name and then making that read only; no performance issues I can see.

Doing a regular clean of cookies is also wonderful (lets me view more than the 'permitted' number of articles from given news sources per month).

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon