Reply to post: HiDPI

Long-term Linux Mint: 19.3 release unchains the Gimp, adds HiDPI, is kind to your older, less-beefy kit

Mage Silver badge
Linux

HiDPI

The 18.3 seems to have some HiDPI support.

Also the look, feel and performance of Mint depends purely on the Desktop used, the Window Manager used with that and then the Theme installed or customized. Win 10 has none of that being like a throw back to Windows 2.0. At least on XP you could get rid of Fisher Price look and you could ENTIRELY and easily turn off all the stupid eye candy on Vista. All you can do on Win10 is change some of the colours. Some GUI options (like no snap and always show scroll bars) are almost hidden.

I have 19.2 on a test machine, I must update it to 19.3, not been using it as I do all my "real" work on Linux Mint 18.3, Mate Desktop and a customised theme that's sort of like a mix of Win98 and Win7 without much eye candy. I've a decent GPU, so I have a sort of shadow on the active window.

I bought my Lenovo Laptop just as Win7 sales ended about 2 years ago and initially had dual boot to Linux. I wasn't using Win7 so copied off all the data, reformatted that partition as Ext4 and mounted it in a directory in my home. Migration of Thunderbird & Firefox data from Win7 no problem.

I'd abandoned PaintShop Pro7 for The Gimp (better text, PDF import and export) and MS Office for LibreOffice (styles are your friend) about a year or so earlier on XP. Ran Notepad++ on WINE till I figured out that KATE was better and native. ADI/LT Spice installed fine on WINE. I have my old Eagle (with licence key) on WINE and a newer "free" entry level Eagle on Linux before it was sold again (Adobe?).

I have an XP in a VM for the very rare occasion it's wanted, about 3 times in 2 years. Saves getting out the old XP machine.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR WEEKLY TECH NEWSLETTER

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2020