Reply to post: unofficial oncall

It's always DNS, especially when you're on holiday with nothing but a phone on GPRS

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

unofficial oncall

$currentjob has a full shutdown 1st week in July. This year we found out that due to production backlog, we'd have limited production for that week (except for the 4th itself - USA here). Management was looking for volunteers to be available to provide support for any issues that might arise.

Despite the late notice (1 day before break started) I didn't have concrete plans to be anywhere, so I told my boss I'd be willing to help. Late afternoon on our last scheduled day I stopped by his office to ask about how the'd contact me if they had issues (no existing policy for support). Boss said that they were instructed to call him and he'd contact the appropriate engineer.

Then he gave me the closest thing to an evil grin that he can muster and warned me that he was spending the week at a campground with no electricity and minimal cell service, so I should expect he might not get any messages before the break ended.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon