Reply to post: Re: Inconveniently placed keys

Beware the three-finger-salute, or 'How I Got The Keys To The Kingdom'

Kiwi
Flame

Re: Inconveniently placed keys

The most patently dumb keyboards have, or had as luckily I haven't come across any recently (they get immediately skipped with prejudice) power and suspend keys on the keyboard itself. The most utterly idiotic thing to put on a keyboard near guaranteeing regular shutdowns in the middle of work.

Those buttons on the KB itself aren't so bad - when they're away from the normal keys and in an out-of-the-way area. One of the shortest lived keyboards I've ever known was one a mate had that had the '"sleep" key at the level of the "home" key, and the home etc keys dropped a row.

I can't imagine how it was that I simultaneously accidentally spilt a glass of coke (which I didn't touch back then), a cup of coffee, a bag of sugar and something else into it. It certainly wasn't keyboard malice, and I did give him a very nice replacement immediately afterwards anyway (which by pure coincidence I'd purchased on my way to see him that very day, which I really was wanting just as a spare for home and not at all because I was planning to make sure his existing keyboard was destroyed and irreplaceable). And when trying to clean all this mess out,I did accidentally break a couple of keycaps and accidentally pushed my screwdriver through the membranes of a few more keys. And in my shock and frustration of how bad things were going, I did also purely accidentally use the longer screws in shorter holes, driving them in with such accidental excessive force that they drilled a new hold through part of the circuit and out the top of the case...

Such a shame. It was such a nice keyboard too! :)

One thing I found really annoying with certain laptop brands is the swapping of F1 etc keys with the 'media keys' so you need Function+F1 instead of just F1. Being someone who seldom uses media keys and often uses function keys, especially when I was using a lot of repair tools each day....

(FTR, I usually set the "sleep" buttons to "do nothing" anyway, just in case I come across a stupid keyboard again).

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon