I was working as a care assistant
(so no IT angle)
Anyway, the evening of 31st December I was working on enhanced pay as an agency at a nursing home near Camberley.
My job, since I am a guy, was to carry an ungodly amount of bottled water, tinned tomatoes, and toothpaste (!) from the back of a minibus and up into the loft. When I pointed out to the activities girl (who was dealing with all of this for about a fiver an hour) that it might be hard to do anything useful with the tomatoes if there's no power, she actually peed. Like, right there.
She scurried off, I thought to go change, but she came back half an hour later with boxes of tea, UHT milk, and several large bottles of butane gas. I had no idea what the gas was going to connect to, but since the poor girl was on the verge of a heart attack, I said nothing.
I don't know what the hell she'd been listening to, but she basically passed out in the recreation room at about eleven PM, absolutely convinced that the world was going to end.
And I wouldn't be at all surprised if all that stuff wasn't still up on the loft under a twenty year (my god, has it been that long!?) layer of dust.