Reply to post: Re: No Limits!

El Reg presents: Your one-step guide on where not to store electronic mail

Martin an gof Silver badge

Re: No Limits!

I'll have to look into WebDAV, but the first thing I understood on the "how to" pages for PiWiGo is that it runs atop a web server (never set one of those up before, but how hard can it be?), and that you have to "upload" or "import" files to PiWiGo. I'd rather point it at my existing NAS share, which runs to a rather ridiculous 330+GB of photos and 2.1TB+ of videos, nearly all of which are self-generated "family memories" (i.e. very little downloaded content). There's a load of other stuff too, which takes the total up to somewhere around 3.4TB. It's quite a lot to have to re-organise :-)

On a related but off-topic note, whatever happened to "decent" large 2.5" HDDs? I went for 2.5" when I first built the NAS many years ago for reasons of neatness - I found a lovely Startech 4x2.5" caddy which fitted into a single 5.25" bay, initially with a mirrored pair of 300GB, then with four 1TB in the ZFS equivalent of RAID 6 (2TB online), then with six 1TB drives giving me 4TB online, which was as many as I could physically fit in the small case I'd bought, and needed an extra SATA card to give me the 6 ports I needed.

Now I need to upgrade again. All those years ago I had assumed that 2TB discs would be common by now, but they're not. Or, at least, you can get Toshiba laptop discs and WD Blue discs of that size, but WD Red? Seagate Ironclad (or whatever it's called?). Nope. So I can't follow my original plan of swapping out the 1TB discs for 2TB discs and letting the thing rebuild and I'm left with a dilemma; do I buy the laptop discs and see what happens (speed isn't really an issue)? Buy a bigger case and reconfigure the thing for 10x 1TB discs? Or buy a bigger case and move to 3.5" discs?

M.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon