Reply to post: TROS is what happens when...

A sprinkling of Star Wars and a dash of Jedi equals a slightly underbaked Rise Of Skywalker

juice

TROS is what happens when...

You give a seven year old a pen, some paper, a full set of the Lego Star Wars games and then park them next to a table filled with energy drinks and brightly coloured cakes and sweets - sugar and e-numbers a go-go...

More precisely: what we got was the mashed up leftovers which resulted from a design-by-committee approach which took a very different approach to the committee who designed the last movie[*]. And while trying to deal with the fact that Carrie Fisher sadly died before any TROS-specific filming had been done. And while trying to ensure that everyone who's ever done anything related to SW got a cameo (possibly as a reaction to Carrie's death?).

As you might be able to guess, I was even less impressed with TROS than I was with TLJ ;)

Which isn't to say that it was a complete disaster - from a purely visual perspective, there were some amazing set-pieces, and I was highly entertained by the way that the finale could have been lifted straight from a WH40K novel. All hail the Omnissiah!

But it's a scrambled mess, and Disney really does need to have a long and hard think about what it's going to do next with the franchise; for all that they've comfortably recouped the cost of purchasing it, they'll probably be throwing anything up to a billion dollars apiece (production and marketing costs) at the next set of films, and not even The Mouse considers that to be pocket change...

[*] And arguably, the TROS committee had a very different agenda to that of the TLJ committee, though I'm sure the less-than-stellar financial performance of TLJ and HS played a part, as too would have Disney's insatiable demand for characters, vehicles and weapons which could be easily merchandised...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon