Reply to post:

Traffic lights worldwide set to change after Swedish engineer saw red over getting a ticket

kiwimuso

@Kiwi

Hey mate, you obviously haven't driven in Auckland recently. More red light runners here than anywhere I've been - apart from Amsterdam.

And more and more red light cameras because of it. Doesn't seem to stop the stupid arses though.

Amsterdam as far as I could tell, you don't stop crossing the intersection until the cars coming from the other direction actually start entering the intersection. Even worse when bikes are involved. They go anywhere, anytime, presumably until somebody hits them.

Oh, and I would love it id they brought in flashing aamber (or red) lights when there is little traffic around. When arriving on Vipond Rd at the junction with and Whangaparaoa Rd, in Whangaparaoa

at 11 p.m., it is possible to sit there on a red light for several minutes with nary another vehicle in sight. Then of course, naturally, Whangaparaoa Rd goes amber/yellow precisely when the only car for several miles/kilometers approaches it. Thus pissing off unnecessarily both sets of drivers. This has happened even after several cars have stacked up at the lights in Vipond, all of whom, I would assume have triggered the in road loop sensor.

Bugger, maybe that's whats wrong. Someone forgot to install the loop, or forgot to wire it up.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon