Reply to post: Re: Can someone please explain...

Google security engineer says she was fired for daring to remind Googlers they do indeed have labor rights

Jaybus

Re: Can someone please explain...

I think there might be some misconception regarding the American work environment. For one, only the stories of doom and gloom ever likely are published. The squeaking wheel gets the grease. There are a lot of workers here and a plethora of work places, and so the entire gambit of work environments from awful to fantastic exist. But in general, the vast majority get paid leave, paid holidays, paid maternity (as well as paternity) leave, reduced cost health insurance, unemployment benefits should they be fired without cause, overtime pay, and more. Not sure what rights you think American workers lack, exactly.

And, fyi, average wages are easily in the top 10 globally with both OECD and World Population Review having the US at 4th.

As for unions, I'm not sure there is a consensus on the benefit. Some claim they aid the worker with higher pay and safer work conditions. Some claim they eliminate the worker by getting their jobs outsourced. I tend to think it is a little of both. It doesn't seem that non-union companies outsource any less, and neither does it seem union companies pay all that much better.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon